Sunday, September 20, 2009

Where to begin?

Booby baby & hemp burger at Eco Fest
So here we are at the end of Isaac's second week out of the womb and it still hasn't really sunk in that I'm someone's mother. Even typing it and reading it back sounds utterly ridiculous. I'm responsible for the well-being and development of a small person. Who let this happen?!

We've been out and about quite a bit considering the caesarean. We've been into town a few times and today went to Eco-Fest at Markeaton Park which was great. It was lovely to be out in the sunshine and surrounded by loads of other people. It's a bit surreal though; feels as though they're at a distance, not included in our little family bubble and therefore not relevant. I'm sure as I get more used to our new life that it will become less weird. I hope so anyway!

How's he doing then? He's doing fabulously and now has eyelashes! My staples came out on day 6 and the community midwife was pleased with how my scar was healing. She weighed Isaac, who had only lost 5% of his birth weight, which apparently is good.

At barely 8 days old he got conjunctivitis in his right eye. It was soon sorted after a visit to the doctor and some drops. It cleared up after about 2 days and shows no sign of returning. I would rather not have put anything in his eyes as I know conjunctivitis clears up on its own, but the poor little mite doesn't have the capacity with which to make his own healing tears yet :-(

We all went to the postnatal clinic for our 10 day check rather than waiting at home for the community midwife again as she didn't arrive until 7pm for our day 5 appointment! Poor woman should've finished at 4pm, but had several emergency appointments and decided to keep going rather than rearrange appointments. Anyhoo, we weren't discharged from midwife care because his cord hadn't then dropped off and, with 4oz to go, he wasn't back up to birth weight. The midwife was pleased with my scar and again commented on how good it looked (?) considering it was only 10 days after the operation. One forgets that a caesarean is actually major surgery.

Isaac's cord came away on day 11 and he now has a nice little pink belly button which is healing well. It's very cute :-) We've got another appointment at the postnatal clinic on Tuesday so we'll see if he's back up to birth weight by then. I can't imagine that he won't be judging by the amount he eats!! I'm really noticing the need to drink massive quantities of water; if I don't I get awful dehydration headaches.

Mother's Milk
Breastfeeding is going well. It doesn't hurt per se, but sometimes feels a little uncomfortable. He sometimes feeds for hours at a time, but I realise now that it's not all feeding, but comfort sucking. With this in mind we did the dreaded and tried him with a dummy. We really, really didn't want to, but he's so much happier with it. I don't like how it squashes against his nose, but maybe that's just how he was lying in the car seat? Plus there's a limit as to how much of the day I can sit with my boobs out!! If he's hungry he spits it out and cries, so I feed him. If he isn't hungry, he's happy to suck on the little plastic and rubber marvel. I expressed some milk for the first time yesterday. 2oz in about 3 minutes! Apparently that's good. I'm not an experienced expresser, so wouldn't know. It was very satisfying though! It'll mean that Simon can help with feeding too. This is good because it'll A) give me a break and B) include him more in Isaac based activities.

Simon goes back to work on Monday. Neither of us want him to go and if Isaac could talk I think he'd say the same. He's been an enormous help with things like making sure I'm fed and watered and doing the laundry. Mum's coming up for the day tomorrow to keep me company and then Dad's coming  up tomorrow evening to stay for a few days to help me while I get used to Simon being at work.It's rubbish that Dads only get 2 weeks paternity leave. Apparently the rules are changing and Dads will be allowed to take 6 months leave soon, but it has to be deducted from the Mother's allowance. How is that fair/does that work? Hmm.

The hospital discharged me with 7 days worth of diclofenac (anti-inflammatory).  I took those and paracetamol 3 times a day for the 7 days and haven't taken anything other than arnica since. I'm feeling much stronger now, although I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than a baby or drive for 6 weeks, which sucks. The doctor did say to go with how I feel though and I do feel a lot better. I think I may be back on the road before the 6 weeks is up. As long as I can lift the pram in and out of the car that is! Having the caesarean has totally thrown me. I wasn't expecting to have to sit on my arse and recover. I'd much rather be out and about doing stuff and making new mum friends. Ho hum, I guess that's the way it's going to have to be for a few more weeks at least. I can't even wear my sling at the moment because it puts uncomfortable pressure on my scar. So, I really do have to sit on my arse and recover. Bring on the hands free days of sling!

For all the lack of sleep and feeding marathons, I wouldn't change a thing; I want him to stay tiny forever, if only for moments like this when he's asleep on my chest making little contented noises. I know it's not possible, so I cherish each moment as it happens.


I don't think the dog likes being further down the ranks though!

1 comment:

  1. In the first photo, I would like there to be a bear behind you eating the burger, to extend the food chain depiction. And maybe a dinosaur behind him.

    ReplyDelete

We love to know who visits us online, take a minute to say hi!