Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Odds & sods

After the initial telephone call of doom on Friday afternoon, the visit went well and I actually really like my Health Visitor! She gave me some really useful breastfeeding tips and advice. Looks like I'll be going along to her breastfeeding group across the road on Friday mornings. Turns out the Well Baby clinic is only over the road too so that makes things easy :-) She put things in perspective, in that at the moment all Little Man knows is sucking, crying, sleeping, weeing & pooing. He's doing well on all those fronts so I guess I must be doing something right. Apart from maybe the sleeping thing, but not all babies sleep as much as each other do they? He does OK at night; obviously we don't get as much sleep as we'd like, but I seem to have night feeds down so that helps.

She also talked to me about the birth. She was surprised that, as I'd had spontaneous membrane rupture & planned a home birth, that I'd ended up having a caesarean. I explained that the midwives who came at 4am asked me to go into hospital for a CTG & I'd ended up staying & she was of the opinion that, as I'd been taken out of my own surroundings into a strange unfamiliar environment, that my body had shut down & decided not to give birth then. Sounds about right to me! I'd thought this already, but didn't want to really believe it. I can't help wondering what would've happened if I'd gone home. There's absolutely no point doing this though as it's now in the past, Le Wiggler est ici & he's healthy etc. Anyhoo...food for thought.

Wheelie-shopper-of-greatness!
How are things going? They're going well. We've had a few nightmare days when I wanted to curl up & die, but who doesn't, right? The dummy/soother has died a death after only really being wanted by Isaac for about 1/2 a day. So now he sucks my finger instead. Although, last night I put a few drops of lavender oil on the muslin that goes under his head in his crib and he didn't need any kind of other soothing for the whole night! (for the times that he wasn't feeding etc). Lavender is good stuff I've decided - the knock out stuff of infants. We'll see how it goes tonight.

The sling continues to be daytime salvation. Isaac doesn't sleep during the day unless he's in the sling. I tried to have a nap the other day, which was hideous. I nearly got to sleep a few times in the course of an hour, but Isaac didn't sleep at all & I eventually gave up & felt like rhubarb for the rest of the day. Dad bought me a wheelie shopper to use in town when I'm wearing the sling & don't have the luxury of being able to carry lots of bags plus baby. It's amazing - thank you me Da!

I shall be glad when Simon has finished with enrolment at uni & he's home at a decent time in the evenings. I don't know what I would've done without Dad being here. He's been great - made me lunch every day & offered words of encouragement and understanding.  He's ace and will be missed when he goes home on Friday...alone at last :-( Bring on the visitors! :-D

Super Pa!

That is all I have to say for now, other than this...

(not Isaac!)


2 comments:

  1. Patricia Russell2 October 2009 at 05:29

    So glad Dad could be with you.

    With regard to the birth, remember Isaac chose not to come out as his head hurt - remember the ridge and how he hated having his head touched when they tried to attach the probe - his heart went mad! That's why you had a caesarean - no matter how you pushed he was not coming out! Your body shut down to protect him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I wasn't dilated enough because I went into hospital?

    ReplyDelete

We love to know who visits us online, take a minute to say hi!