Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Art of Crochet squares 25 - 32

Square 25.
I think this one is pretty fun! I reminds me a little of a carnival. No idea why. Maybe it's the colours and the little strips? Something to do with ticker tape?Anyhoo, with the Trebles (US) it was a doddle to make and I managed to do it ending with minimal weaving in :-D











Square 26.
I finally chose my sub for square 26. I used the Solid Square pattern from 200 Crochet Blocks. I like how it retains the simplicity of the original square without incorporating the ghastly embroidery. Super quick & easy to work up. Did it whilst watching How To Train Your Dragon - an excellent animated children's tale with some really lovely characters and CGI.








v1.0                                                                v2.0


Square 27.
This was another embroidery square. I um-ed and ah-ed about what to use for a sub and came up with v1.0. I wrote down my pattern & everything. Then I cam to make it again using different colours and my brain went a bit wobbly (like trifle) so I decided against it in favour of Chocolate Box from 200 Crochet Blocks.

Square 28.
*yawn*















Square 29.
This square looks lovely. I really like the basket weave effect. It was, however, a massive P.I.A. to make. I must've frogged & restarted about six times. I kid ye not. Eventually I wrote the pattern out in terms of rows so that I could tick each one off and know exactly where I was. I think this is the kind of pattern that you work in one go, if only to save your sanity!








Square 30.
Same pattern as square 27. The square that made my trifle brain pick a different sub. This time (on the final round) I only worked in 3 ch spaces & didn't work a sc (US) into each sc between 3 ch sp. Made it less "frilly" and more even/flat. Win!











Square 31.
I LOVE this square. It's so purty. And it reminds me of a swimming gala. WTF? Yes. Anyhoo. It's nice and quick, simple and obvious working. 













Square 32.
This square is renowned for being difficult to work. I was feeling cross with it for being such a pain and then I remembered some discussion about it on the Ravelry forum a while back (I'm behind the others subscription wise) so I went and had a peek at what advice was on offer. It's amazing how many times I can correct my work, just by READING THE FREAKING PATTERN. Can't see the wood for the trees sometimes y'know. So now it's done and that's THAT!

2 comments:

  1. amazing darling how can i make these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hey Monkai Laydee! Apologies for not replying sooner, Blogger doesn't tell you when you get comments like Wordpress does!

    So, to make the squares you need to subscribe to The Art of Crochet. That's what I did in order to keep myself motivated crochet wise & pace myself project wise.

    However, to avoid the ridiculous cost and nasty yarn I would recommend buying a book called "200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix-and-Match" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crochet-Blocks-Blankets-Throws-Afghans/dp/0715321412). You can plan your own throw then and choose your own yarn.

    Or.

    You could join Ravelry.com (awesome yarn based site, a bit like Facebook, but for knitters/crocheters). It's free and they have yearly Crochet Alongs (CALs) where a free pattern is posted once a month or more and at the end of the year you have a throw. I'd do either of the latter, but I'm already so far through the Art of Crochet!

    Be warned though, there are UK and US terms for crochet stitches! This confused me no end! Debbie Stoller's Happy Hooker is a good place to learn the stitches, but they are US.

    Good luck!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

We love to know who visits us online, take a minute to say hi!