Thursday, May 05, 2011

A less cold excursion

I told you I was going backwards. 

In our bid to get out of the city together regularly we've been walking out in't Derbyshire countryside. Our first complete family walk in the Peak District was...er...cold...to say the least. But that's another story. With the days becoming longer and lighter and with wind the chill factor being not so down right bloody freezing, about six weeks ago (late March) we decided to try again. This time we chose a shorter, flatter route that we had walked before, was closer to home and had more interesting bits for the (Roisin) Bean. So off we set with our packed lunch to Stanton Moor which is home to the Nine Ladies Stone Circle.

Click to zoom (a bit)
Looking back on these images and having just been to Dartmoor, it's quite remarkable how the terrain and flora differ in the two places. I know that we're further into spring now and that Stanton Moor is considerably further north, but Derbyshire moors seem so bleak and barren when compared with Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor. I guess for me, West Country moors are what I remember from my late teens/early twenties so I use them as my point of reference for greatness, although it will be nice to come back here in the summer to see if my opinion changes.

Coincidentally, Aoife wasn't such a fan of this walk as it wasn't "uphill enough". Gotta strike a balance somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to know who visits us online, take a minute to say hi!